The NPD numbers for December 2009 have finally been released and they’re quite impressive, besting last December by 4 percent from $5.32 billion to $5.53 billion, becoming the best single sales month on record for the video game industry. Compared to last year’s sales, hardware sales rose from 16 percent to $2.19 billion and accessories rose 15 percent to $760.2 million, but, surprisingly, software sales actually declined 7 percent to $2.58 billion. Even with the great success in December, it wasn’t enough to compensate for the decreased sales throughout the year, which saw full-years sales decline by 8 percent compared to last year’s record-setting revenues.
“There are a lot of hardware records this month,” said NPD Industry Expert Anita Frazier. “The PS3 realized it’s biggest month of sales ever, and the first times sales have exceeded 1 million units. The Wii and the DS also had thier biggest sales months ever, and in fact the two platforms hold the top spots in sales of any hardware device in a single month. Overall, it was the biggest month of sales for hardware on both a dollar and unit basis.”
It isn’t a surprise to reveal that Nintendo stole the top two spots for the most hardware sales for the month with the Wii moving 3.8 million units and the DS moving 3.3 million units. The PS3 just barely took third place with 1.36 million units sold, just around 2 million units behind the DS.
Here are the full console sales for the month of December ’09:
Wii: 3.81 million
Nintendo DS: 3.31 million
PlayStation 3: 1.36 million
Xbox 360: 1.31 million
PSP: 654, 700
PlayStation 2: 333,200
As for software sales, Nintendo once again dominated with New Super Mario Bros. Wii taking the top spot, Wii Fit Plus taking second and Wii Sports Resort taking third, just ahead of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 which took the fourth and fifth spots. Yep, that’s three Nintendo titles all in the top three. As a matter of fact, Nintendo-published titles practically took over the top ten charts, with five Wii titles and one DS title.
Here are the full software sales for the month of December ’09:
1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo), Wii – 2.82 million
2. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo), Wii – 2.41 million
3. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo), Wii – 1.79 million
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), Xbox 360 – 1.63 million
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), PS3 – 1.12 million
6. Wii Play (Nintendo), Wii – 1.01 million
7. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo), Wii – 936,100
8. Assassin’s Creed II (Ubisoft Montreal), Xbox 360 – 783,100
9. Left 4 Dead 2 (Valve, Electronic Arts), Xbox 360 – 656,700
10. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story (Alphadream, Nintendo) – 656,700